Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Thank you

This year, more than any year I can remember, I was so moved by Memorial Day. I am embarrassed to say that, more years than not, it has just meant a 3 day weekend with grilling out and picnics. But the Memorial Day holiday is meant to honor America's fallen heroes and be thankful to them for their efforts and their profound patriotism.

I have a hard time leaving my children and dogs for an overnight trip. These men and women leave their homes and familys for months and years. How can I ever adequately thank them?

Megan and I went to outdoor mass at a gorgeous cemetary near our houses. They had fields of flags, each in honor of a Michigan soldier that had died in Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

There were too many flags.


1 comment:

wvamom said...

I agree. What a sacrifice for our country! Our pastor had the veterans come forward and say what serving in the military meant to them. Their stories were very moving. One said he would still die for his country in a heartbeat, and he is in his eighties. We could learn from their example!