Monday, March 23, 2009

Long time, no talk...

It feels like a long time but I guess it was just a week. I missed everyone.
So, we are back from our adventure. Here's the scoop. Last year, a lifetime ago, I have booked a Springbreak trip for me and the kids to go to Atlantis. Oscar and I went when he was 3 years old and it was glorious. We had a great time. Oscar even snorkled like a CHAMP! Here he is, my brave little fish.


Anyway, the closer the trip got the more it seemed we would not be able to go. For starters, I thought I was getting money BACK on my taxes, but instead I owe. Aughhhh! Then my oncologist said that I cannot leave the country. So we switched to Destin, Florida to stay closer to home and to save money.

It was ambitious of me. Really. I guess I have such grandiose illusions that I can do anything. I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. It just does not occur to me that traveling through airports and renting a car and lugging all our bags and 2 kids is something that will be hard. Forget the fact that I had chemo on Monday and left on Tuesday. It was very hard getting there and very, very hard getting home. But worth it! We spent several days on the beach, took a boat ride, saw dolphins swimming in the wild, made sandcastles, buried each other in the sand and just had a great time. I am most proud of myself for not freaking out about spending the money. Okay, well maybe a little bit...

Walking throught the airport Oscar's front tooth FINALLY fell out so that was fun too!
Another really neat thing that happened was we meet a nice couple on the beach. I had forgotten my camera (chemo brain). So this incredibly nice, sweet woman...a survivor sister...started taking pictures of us. She is going to share the photos with me so I will post them also. People are so kind!!! Here are some pictures to share from my fancy disposible camera in the meantime.

Love to you all!

xoxo





Notice the frighteningly tiny head in the sand...? That's me.


















Those are DOLPHIN in the water!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mimi,

You are amazing! When I read about you trudging through the airport, car rental, hotel, outings, etc. etc. etc. my first thought was how incredbily loving you are as a mother! What a wonderful gift to take such an exciting adventure! It sounds like an overwhelming project to take on, but you certainly know better than anyone if you are up to it. Hopefully you are taking now that you're back home.

The photos are great, but will also enjoy seeing the ones from you new friend on the beach - isn't that just like you to feel like poop and still make friends! No doubt you left them laughing.

Sending you ALL my love,

Molly xoxoxo

SallyB said...

Maureen,

I am so glad you got to spend a Spring Break with the kids in Florida and at a beautiful beach. You looked like you all were having such great fun. They are certainly lucky to have you as their MOM and I know how much they give back to you.

With sweet love,

Sally

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!!! You are brave indeed!!! That's a trip they will never forget. BRAVO! HUGE HUGS - Chris

Anonymous said...

Cutest pictures! I love the buried alive pictures. That is a blast! I'm glad you are home safe and sound.
Carrie

Anonymous said...

You rock, Maureen!You continue to create the best memories for your kids, even though it is a challenge for you. I loved the pictures with you all buried in the sand.

I am not surprised that you made a new friend on the beach. That was no coincidence that your paths crossed. I can't wait to see those pictures.

I think you had your chemo this morning. I hope you get some rest before school is out!
Much love, Janet

Anonymous said...

Amazing!! You are such a great Mom!

Janine

Anonymous said...

These pictures are wonderful... They're pretty good from a disposable camera!

The kids will cherish these pictures when you all look back at them many years in the future.

Your strength is amazing!

gblaze said...

Ahhhh, the SUN! I was just in Florida two weeks ago and it was glorious! It's so awesome that you are giving your children these memories. It is a gift that will last their lifetime.

Smooch,

Ginny